Dates: Sunday 13th January 2019
Venue: The London School of Osteopathy
12 Grange Road, London S.E.1
Times: 10am – 5.00pm (registration from 9.30am)
|Bump to Baby Part 1 – 13th January 2019||BOOK COURSE|
Bump to Baby’ Part 1 – Pubis, Pelvis, Coccyx & Lumbar Spine
A Practical Approach to the Pregnant Patient
This course is designed primarily for Osteopaths and Physiotherapists, however, if you are not an Osteo or Physio, but would like to join this course, please contact us first.
Pregnancy can be a highly challenging time for the musculo-skeletal system, as body shape & weight alter dramatically over a relatively short timeframe. Discomforts during pregnancy range from minor aches and pains, through to the frankly disabling pain of severe SPD. Manual treatment may offer a much improved overall pregnancy experience, and allow the women to go into labour, and motherhood, in an energised & healthy physical state.
In this highly practical one day workshop, we will explore the pregnant body, and learn appropriate techniques (direct & indirect), exercises, taping, management & patient advice.
Emphasis is on evaluation, treatment, practical management and advice rather than in depth anatomy & physiology which participants can study at their leisure. Guidelines for further study will be given at the lecture
- Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction – its diagnosis, treatment & useful advice for patients
- Simple strengthening, stretching & stability exercises for the pregnant patient
- Taping technique for low back & pelvic pain in pregnancy
- Coccyx pain in pregnancy – indirect and direct techniques, management & advice
- Pelvic Girdle Pain – diagnostic tests, treatment techniques seated, standing and on all fours, to include indirect and gentle direct approaches to include the lumbar spine
Sadly we can’t use babies as models! However we will make good use of dolls and each other to practise techniques so please wear loose and comfortable clothing. Full notes, including photos of techniques, will be supplied during the lecture.
A 6 hour CPD certificate will be available at the end of the day.
- Understand the basic physiological processes of pregnancy and how this may effect the Mother.
- Understand your legal obligations when treating pregnant patients, including cautions & contra-indications to manual treatment.
- Have a basic understanding of indirect treatment approaches as some techniques will require knowledge of these.
Do check with us if you are unsure mumandbabyCPD@gmail.com