Sunday 17th November 2019
Venue: The London School of Osteopathy
12 Grange Road, London S.E.1
Times: 10am – 5.00pm (registration from 9.30am)
|The Miserable Baby Part 4 – 17th Nov 2019||BOOK COURSE|
The Miserable Baby Part 4
This is a ‘stand alone’ course – Miserable Baby Parts 1-4 can be attended in any order
THIS COURSE IS SUITABLE FOR OSTEOPATHS, CRANIOSACRAL THERAPISTS, CHIROPRACTORS & PHYSIOTHERAPISTS.
This course comes with time limited access (3 months) to portions of our Video ‘Infant Examination 0-6 Months.
Topics covered throughout the day:
Infant Examination from 0-6 months:
- Introduction to examination & evaluation of the infant’s neuro-musculo-skeletal system
- Cautions & contraindications
- Assessment of nutrition and hydration
- Observation of the skin & markings
- Observation and assessment of respiration
- Assessing level of alertness
- Development of the eye & eye movements
- Assessing muscle tone
- Assessing posture & spontaneous movements
- Neurological examinations – primitive reflexes, postural reflexes, deep tendon reflexes, cranial nerve evaluationIn depth regional examination will be the subject of another lecture Miserable Baby 5 available from 2020
Colic, Infant Dyschezia (difficult/painful defecation) & Constipation in Children
|Intro to infant Dyschezia, and true constipation|
|Signs of digestive tract disorders in early life|
|When to refer – pathological reasons for constipation and lower GI tract disorders|
|PRACTICAL SESSION 1|
|Functional anatomy of lower digestive tract, pelvis, hip, sacrum & related neurology|
|Observation & examination of abdomen, hips, pelvis, sacrum and lumbar spine|
|Ishemia at splenic flexture|
|PRACTICAL SESSION 2|
|Colic, definition & possible causes|
|Lactase insufficiency and cows milk protein allergy as causes of ‘colic’|
|PRACTICAL SESSION 3|
|Process of defecation & defecation reflexes|
|Functional constipation in older children, encopresis|
|Constipation and allergies, diet, probiotics & behavioural problems|
|Medical approaches to functional constipation|
|PRACTICAL SESSION 4|
|Sadly we can’t use babies and children as models! However we will make good use of each other to practise techniques so please wear loose and comfortable clothing. Full notes, including visuals of all techniques, will be supplied during the lecture.|
A 6 hour CPD certificate will be given at the end of the day.
- Be able to take a Paediatric case history and understand your legal & professional requirements for treating infants.
- Understand the basic physiological processes of birth and how this may effect cranial & body mechanics.
- Have an understanding of the cranio-sacral approach (Sutherland, Upledger etc.) as many techniques require palpation of the Involuntary Mechanism.
Do check with us if you are unsure mumandbabyCPD@gmail.com