2 day workshop – A manual Approach to Breastfeeding Problems
– treating the suck/swallow/breathe mechanism
Date: Sat 18th / Sun 19th November 2023
Venue: London School of Osteopathy, 12 Grange Road, London SE1 3BE, UK
Times: 10am – 5.00pm Saturday & Sunday
Lecturer: Miranda Clayton Registered Osteopath
The emphasis of this workshop is hands-on evaluation, treatment, practical management and advice (50% lecture / 50% hands-on). We cover a variety of techniques, both direct and indirect, to cater to a variety of practitioners. This workshop is suitable for Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Cranio-sacral therapists, Physiotherapists and all qualified practitioners who take a hands-on approach to early life problems.
Over the past 30 years there has been a huge increase in the number of women wanting to breastfeed their babies. A lot of this is due to the overwhelming emerging evidence base indicating a wealth of health benefits, to the baby, from this mode of feeding. However, breastfeeding itself can be very problematic for a variety of reasons, and failure to breastfeed successfully, has become one of the most common presentations to Osteopaths, and other manual practitioners, who treat early life disorders. Key to recognising and treating an infant struggling with breast or bottle feeding, is an understanding of the suck/swallow/breathe mechanism, related anatomy and physiology in early life and a range of direct and indirect techniques to normalise any structural / autonomic or state regulation dysfunctions.
18th/19th November 2023
DAY 1 SATURDAY:
- Mechanism of breastfeeding in infants
- Mandible & Hyoid – assessment and treatments
- Intra-oral treatment approaches
- Mechanism of swallowing in infants
- Infrahyoid region, sternum, clavicle, anterior thorax & diaphragm – evaluation & treatment
DAY 2 SUNDAY:
- The Face & Temporals – evaluation & treatment
- Mechanisms of breathing in an infant
- Occiput, cervical spine, scapulae, & posterior thorax – evaluation & treatment
- Global treatment approaches
Please wear loose and comfortable clothing. Full notes will be supplied before the workshop.
A 13 hour CPD certificate will be available at the end of the weekend.
This in a Postgraduate Level workshop. To get the most out of this course you should:
- Be able to undertake a full health history and physical examination of the infant.
- Understand your legal obligations when treating paediatric patients, including cautions & contra-indications to manual treatment.
- Understand the need for medical referrals where indicated.
- Be clear that you are working within the guidelines of your particular professional or registering organisation
Do check with us if you are unsure mumandbabyCPD@gmail.com